Monday, June 06, 2016

Fermentationist Certification: Ferment 1b ~ Spicy Tumeric Chee


Spicy Tumeric Chee

Since I still have some traditional Kimchi in my fridge, I decided to make a twist on the traditional Kimchi. Since Kimchi is made from a different mix of roots including ginger, peppers, and garlic, it actually has a different family of lactic acid bacteria and a different microbial ecology than traditional Sauerkraut. It is important to vary your root vegetables when making lacto-fermented vegetables. This will help vary your gut flora!


For how to instructions on how to make lacto-fermented vegetables, please see my previous post on how to make Sauerkraut as the process is the same.


Ingredients:

Spicy Turmeric Chee (makes 1 quart)

Turmeric is known for its connective tissue supporting properties. It is helpful for the liver and positively affects the body’s inflammation response. Daikon is noted for its weight loss powers. Ginger and chili flakes help guide the medicinal effects of the other foods deep into the cells of the body.


Tina's version of Tumeric Chee

.75 Pounds Napa cabbage

1/4 Cup daikon

1 carrot

1/4 Cup onion

1 clove garlic

1 Tablespoons red chili flakes

1 Tablespoon turmeric

1 Tablespoons ginger

1 Tablespoon sea salt (noniodized)




Since I didn't have all the above ingredients this week, I varied the above recipe a little. I added 2 carrots instead of 1. I added 2 apples instead of the ginger. I used green onions from my Tower Garden instead of regular white onions and I omitted the red chili flakes. We will see how it tastes but I totally went on how I was feeling and what I was craving!


Carrots cut using a mandolin





Fresh Tumeric


Tumeric...I can't say enough about tumeric and its amazing qualities. Dr. Mercola has a wonderful article on tumeric:

Tumeric: The Spice That Actually Doubles as a Powerful Anti-Inflammatory






If you are a person who spends a lot on your nails, look out when cutting fresh tumeric!  One of my fellow Fermentationists Certification classmates, Karen Dosha, had her nails done the day before she made hers! 


Karen Dosha's Nails after making her Tumeric Chee


Voila, here is my own version of Tumeric Chee. You really can't go wrong and if you don't have all the ingredients, that is ok!
Tina's Tumeric Chee in Fido Jar


What is nice about the Fido Jars is they allow the gases to escape and keep the bugs out as well. The most important thing here is to use weights so all the vegetables are below the brine. You may buy glass weights through Amazon or you can find a jar that fits snuggly on top however you don't get the anaerobic environment using this method.

Progress:

Batch #1

06.06.2016: Start date ~ used 1 Tbsp of salt but went by taste. Not too salty at all.
13.06.2016: Anticipated harvest date

19.06.2016: Harvested today.  Tastes yummy!
07.08.2016: None left!  It was a hit in my household.

Batch #2

13.09.2016: Start date ~ I had just over 3 lbs of napa cabbage so I trippled the recipe plus I used more tumeric this time and fresh celery from my Tower Garden!  I measured 3 tbsp of Hymalayan Sea Salt but went by taste and used 2.5 tbsp.
20.09.2016: Anticipated harvest date





No comments:

Post a Comment