Thursday, July 07, 2016

Fermentationist Certification: Ferment 4 ~ Dairy & Non-Dairy Yogurt

Yogurt - Dairy & Vegan


One of the oldest and still most popular fermented foods, yogurt is known around the world. The word yogurt comes from Turkey and refers to a tart, thick milk. Yogurt can be found in nearly every culture that kept animals for milk. It was likely discovered in similar ways in each region. When fresh milk is left in a container with friendly bacteria, the milk thickens and develops a delicious sour taste. The lactic acid produced by the fermentation also acts as a preservative.

Yogurt is teeming with bacteria. The bacteria work together to metabolize the milk sugar, or lactose, to form lactic acid, among other chemicals. After fermentation, which can take three or four hours, the mixture will no longer resemble the milk you started with. It will be thicker and creamier.

Bacteria required for fermentation in yogurt are called Lactobacillus (that's the genus) bulgaricus (that's the species) and Streptococcus thermophilus . Store bought yogurt may also have added Lactobacillus acidophilus. Lactobacilli are present in our intestines naturally as long as a healthful lifestyle and little to no antibiotics have been taken. Adding them to yogurt before we eat it helps replenish our supply.

Supplies

Euro Cuisine Yogurt Maker

There are so many methods you can use to make yogurt.  You can use a bowl on the counter, a bowl in the oven with a pilot light on or even a slow cooker.  Because I am so busy and need things to be simple, I purchase a Euro Cuisine Yogurt Maker on Amazon.  I absolutely love it as it is easy for me. Euro Cuisine has a great video so I will post it below to give you the steps needed.





STEP BY STEP

The first thing you will need is Milk of any kind!  You may use raw milk, pasteurized milk,  coconut milk or any nut milks.

Courtesy of Summer Bock - Fermentation Certification Program

Dairy Yogurt

I used whole milk from our local Dairy Farmer in Thunder Bay - Slate River Dairy.  As my starter, I used their yogurt as well.  Their yogurt is not a thick and creamy style of yogurt and therefore you cannot expect yours to be either.  My favourite starter is a Greek Yogurt from Krema...the kids favourite brand!

I brought the milk to 110 degrees and then let it cool before adding the yogurt.
Then I poured the milk into the cute little cups, turned on the Euro Cuisine and the next morning I put them into the fridge to firm up.









Vegan Yogurt

Below is the basic nut milk recipe:

1 Cup raw almonds, hazelnuts, pistachios, pecans, walnuts, or cashews

Optional:
4 teaspoons honey or a few drops of stevia
1/8 teaspoon sea salt

  1. Place nuts in a large bowl and add water to cover by 2 inches.
  2. Let stand at least 12 hours (this is key for silky, non gritty results; the longer the nuts soak, the smoother the milk will be).
  3. Note: exception for cashews, which should never be soaked for longer than 6 hrs.
  4. Drain nuts; discard soaking liquid.
  5. Purée nuts, agave, salt, and 4 cups very hot water (but not boiling; hot water yields creamier milk) in a blender on high speed until very smooth, about 2 minutes.
  6. Strain through a finemesh sieve into a medium bowl, pressing down on solids.
  7. Discard nut pulp. Thin nut milk with water as necessary to reach desired consistency. 
  8. Now you’re ready to make some yogurt! (Transfer to airtight container and chill until cold if not using right away.)
  9. Refer to chart above for further instructions.  

Coconut Yogurt


I had some time and didn't have my nuts soaked so I decided to try some coconut yogurt.  I had two cans of organic coconut milk in the cupboard so I brought this up to 110 degrees and then added 1 tablespoon of Vital Proteins Gelatin and once cooled down, I added the starter culture from Cultures For Health.  I was just messing around without really using any instructions at all and it worked out perfectly!

You may buy starter cultures through www.culturesforhealth.com.  You may find the Vegan Yogurt instructions here.








My yogurt was a little thick but I absolutely loved it!  I may try without the gelatin next time for an experiment however I truly like to add gelatin to everything I can for healing purposes.

I have to say that I love my little cups.  I take them to work for a snack each day!  If you do order a Euro Cuisine, buy an extra set of cups so you can constantly have the yogurt maker on!  We need it as the kids love yogurt...

Progress:

Dairy Yogurt

18.06.2016:  Start date ~ started yogurt maker at 7PM
19.06.2016:  Considered harvesting today but decided to leave it longer so the bacteria would digest most of the lactose.
20.06.2016:  Harvested at 7AM and put into the fridge for the day.  I found it still too runny.

Coconut Yogurt

25.06.2016:  Start date ~ started yogurt maker at 5:30 PM
26.06.2016:  Harvested at 1PM.  It had separated which is normal for vegan style yogurts so I stirred them all before putting them into the fridge.  They came out very thick but that is what I loved about it!
Update:  I tried another batch of coconut yogurt without any gelatin and found it too runny even after I took it out of the fridge.  I will have to start experimenting with my gelatin to get the exact quantity needed for a true yogurt consistency. I would also like to experiment with vegan options as well (agar agar powder or arrowroot powder).



No comments:

Post a Comment