Saturday, September 10, 2016

Fermentationist Certification: Ferment 9 ~ Idlis

Idlis

History Of Idlis

Idlis originated in southern Indian cuisine over 1,000 years ago. The word Idli comes from two Tamil words "Ittu" and "Avi" (To lay the steam). The first mention of idlis in writing was in 920 A.D.,and it seems to have been created from only black lentils. There is no record of rice being added to the recipe until the 17th century. The addition of rice may have been to help speed up the fermentation process.

Although the ingredients of Idlis have changed over the years, the preparation process and name have remained the same.

Health Benefits of Idlis 


Idlis is a gluten free food made from only rice and lentils. By soaking the ingredients you are predigesting compounds that are difficult for your body to digest. This allows for greater availability of the nutrients from this food. In a single idli, you consume 2 grams of protein, 2 grams of dietary fiber, and 8 grams of carbohydrates. For a light snack this is a notable amount of protein and fiber with minimal carbohydrates. As you know, protein facilitates muscle repair, carbohydrates provide energy and fiber promotes healthy digestion while bulking the stool. Additionally, one idli contains 1 mg of iron as well as trace amounts of calcium, folate, potassium, and vitamin A. The iron is mostly from the lentils, with about 25% of it from the rice. Iron keeps your blood oxygenated and is crucial for any diet. There are not any probiotics left in this food after the steaming process however, idlis
do have a way of making a delicious food more digestible.

How it all works


Idlis are a steamed, naturally leavened cake with a unique, fluffy texture. They are made from a mixture of ground rice and beans, which give them a taste that is mild and savory.  Idlis made from urad dal (white lentil) is the most traditional. No culture is added to this wild ferment. Idlis results from the combination of a warm temperature and the wild yeast form the lentils.  It is the wild yeast and anaerobic bacteria on the urad dal, which aids in the fermentation process.  After the lentils are mixed with water and rice, its pH drops to below 4.5 when left to ferment. It has been shown that anti-nutrients such as phytate and tannins are reduced during the fermentation period, making the nutrients better available. The yeast works its magic over several days, resulting in delicious, fluffy bread.

Ingredients


  • 1 cup Indian lentils (Urad daal) or other dried bean
  • 2 cups white basmati rice or short grain brown (white has the best results)
  • 2 tsp sea salt
  • 2 T whey or lemon juice
  • warm filtered water
  • idli steamer (an egg poacher or muffin tray can also be used)



I purchased my idli steamer here.

Step by Step

Soak:

Wash lentils and rice well and place them in a bowl or jar. Cover them with warm water, add 1 tablespoon whey or lemon juice and leave to soak for two days in a warm place. You can soak them separately or together, but make sure your ratio is 1:2 (bean: grain).



Drain & Grind:

Drain your grains and lentils (don't rinse) and grind them in a food processor using the same water they have been soaking in, but not all of it. Use a minimum amount of the water until it's a smooth, soupy paste.


Blend:

Blend the lentils and rice dough with salt. The salt must be non-iodized, or the batter will not ferment! Pickling salt, kosher salt and unrefined sea salt work well. The dough should be rather firm.


Before blending

After blending

Ferment:

Cover and leave in a warm place to ferment for 2-4 days. You know it's ready when the dough has risen significantly, and the odor has gone from harsh and beany to mild and savory. Fermentation time will depend on the ambient temperature. Grind the mixture again before cooking in order to get it as smooth as possible.

Pre-Ferment

Prepare Your Idlis:

Fill well oiled idli egg poaching cups with balls of rice/lentil mixture, cover and steam until a
knife inserted into them comes out clean, about 15-20 minutes. I steamed mine for 20 minutes. Don't touch the lid while cooking! If you don't have an Idli steamer, you can also bake them at 350 F in muffin tins. It's not traditional, but it works.

Before Steaming

After steaming

Progress:

Attempt #1

22.07.2016: Started soaking at 7PM ~ I used whey as my starter
24.07.2016: At 2PM, the mixture seemed over fermented and smelled rotten.  I scraped off the foamy bits and I still couldn't trust the smell of it since I knew I had to ferment it for longer.  I threw out this batch.



Attempt #2

24.07.2016:  Started soaking mixture at 3PM ~ I used why as my starter
26.07.2016:  7PM ~ My mixture is beautiful and smells nutty rather than rotten.  The temperature has been the same.  The only difference was that I measured the whey exactly this time and I approximated it the last time.  I did put more in than I should have and I think that is what caused it to over ferment.

26.07.2016:  Blended mixture to let sit for another ferment


27.07.2016:  Checked the mixture at 6AM.  It had risen quite a bit.


27.07.2016:  Checked the mixture again at 6PM.  I decided to harvest today as I was scared if I left it another night, it may rise out of the bowl.


27.07.2016:  At 6:30 PM, I oiled my idli steamer and filled the cups.



27.07.2016: At 6:50 PM I took the idlis out of the steamer and let cool.



These are traditional served with Dahl.  I found they reminded me of dumplings.  There are so many recipes online so be creative and make a feast out of it.  I am leaving on vacation in the morning so I froze them all.  I will update you all when I decide to make an Idian feast with my Idlis!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment